High-Speed Motors & Generators
Permanent magnet motors have established major advantages over other types of motors. Now, high-speed motors and generators with Synchrony magnetic bearings by Dresser-Rand have taken the next step forward from previous generations of permanent magnet motors.
Direct Drive, High Efficiency
These oil-less drive trains offer high performance without a gearbox at rotational speeds up to 20,000 rpm. These drive trains can be configured as both a high-speed and a high-speed generator. The NovaDrive® series motors and NovaGen® series generators use permanent magnet rotors supported on magnetic bearings to achieve increased efficiency and high torque density.
To simplify integration into a system, the control electronics for the magnetic bearings are seamlessly incorporated into the drive train housing, greatly reducing the field wiring. These design innovations decrease the size and complexity of the machine, improve the dynamic performance, and increase the economic value of the system.
Typical applications include gas compression and power generation:
- Permanent magnet rotor with low-loss, steel retention band (patent pending)
- Shaft supported on magnetic bearings with controls embedded in the machine housing
- Compact length (28 in) and lightweight aluminum housing
- Rated at 300 kW at 20,000 rpm
- Compressor or turbine can be mounted on shaft
- Can be directly coupled to a high speed machine
- Remote health monitoring via Ethernet port
- Peak efficiency: > 97%
- MTBF: > 110,000 hrs
- Internal components cooled with air or process gas
- Stator and housing cooled with liquid
- Can be supplied with power conversion electronics
- Elimination of gearbox
- Mechanically durable rotor with no composite material
- Elimination of oil lubrication system
- Elimination of hazardous, flammable, and contaminating lubricants
- Reduced integration and installation costs
- Improved electrical-mechanical conversion efficiency
- Improved reliability and reduced maintenance
- Reduced life cycle cost
- Quiet, vibration-free operation
- White Paper - Improving Rotating
Machinery Performance with Dresser-Rand’s Synchrony® Active Magnetic Bearings (387 KB PDF)
- Synchrony AMB Product Flyer (299 KB PDF)
- Learn More - Magnetic Bearing FAQs
How can we help?
Get answers to your application questions about magnetic bearing systems, high-speed motors and generators, and power conversion challenges.